This weekend, the more *irrational* side of my brain is trying to get the best of me. Knowing how a downward spiral can affect my life for days at a time, I’m doing my best to offset it today. Following are some things that have helped:
- sleeping in
- two Milano cookies
- a homemade matcha latte, sipped slowly as I stared out of my window, letting my mind wander
- finally mending a pair of jeans that had been sitting in the corner for nearly two months
- fertilizing and rearranging my plants
- dusting the windowsills
- mounting nails to hang my necklaces instead of having them strewn about
- this incense (I recommend using the top of an egg carton to contain the ashes)
- FaceTime with my mom and sister
- avoiding everyone else
- a face mask
Self-care should not be expensive. It also shouldn’t be dictated by some random list on the internet. You know what you need when you need it.
This is my go-to mask when I’m feeling out of sorts or when my skin is acting up. I use more white clay than bentonite clay because my skin is sensitive; feel free to adjust your mixture accordingly. Honey is good for hydration and turmeric is great for combating inflammation/acne and for evening skin tone. Cinnamon also helps with acne control.
1 tablespoon of bentonite clay
2 tablespoons of kaolin (also known as China or white) clay
1 teaspoon of honey
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
enough water or ACV or aloe vera juice to make the mask consistency you like
Mix everything up in a jar you can keep in the fridge. If you apply this with a foundation brush (and you should!), you’ll have enough for two or three masks. Leave it on between 10 and 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water. Steaming with a face flannel first helps.